Saturday, November 26, 2005

29 weeks 5 days: Life Returns to normal...

We're back from Thanksgiving with the family. My mom's car was totally loaded up with all the stuff we were given for the baby. It is unbelievable how much stuff we now have: the snugride, a baby bathtub, crib bumpers, clothes, swaddling blankets, jillions of toys, bottles, bathstuff, towels, pacifiers. My brother and SIL gave us a gift certificate to Buybuybaby, which we spent on Friday (breaking our rules about not shopping on Black Friday). They also gave us a ton of their old baby stuff. My father and stepmother gave us a basket full of baby stuff for the baby, as well as two maternity shirts and a pair of maternity pants for me for my birthday. My stepsister and BIL cleaned out half of their old baby clothes and gave us two huge shopping bags, and have more to send down in February when my dad and stepmom meet the baby. Seriously, we are now scared of what will happen with the showers, since we have so much stuff now.

It was a kind of bittersweet holiday. It was wonderful to see everyone, and so much fun to have all three kids running around. But, my mom's parents are closing up shop at the family home. They have owned it for 49 years, and it has been the site of countless family gatherings. It was sad to think that by the summer, they won't be there anymore. And, my stepmom's dad had a stroke about 3 weeks ago, and he couldn't come for Thanksgiving. It was strange to think that the end of that generation could be coming soon. My mom's parents are 87, and my stepmom's dad is 93, so it isn't like life is being cut short, but still, an era is ending...

I can't wait for the next set of holidays next fall, when our little baby will be adding to the chaos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home