Tuesday, November 08, 2005

27 weeks 1 day: and the phone rings...

I was lying in bed half asleep from a nasty cold this afternoon when the phone rang. Assuming that it was another automated phone call about the election, I didn't get up to answer it. It turns out it was the nurse practitioner from the OB's office.

She told me that my one hour test came back high with a 157. Our office uses 130 as their cut off. Now I know that GD is not the end of the world, but I am freaking out anyway.

As a vegetarian, I know that the diet changes for GD will be almost impossible without eating meat again. I haven't eaten chicken since 1992, and i stopped eating red meat and pork in 1988. I can't imagine going back to eating them now.

i have been whiny and weepy all evening, and completely unable to focus on the reading I was supposed to be doing. Dyke Two keeps telling me that my numbers were probably high because of the cold I am fighting off. I know she is probably right, but it still is really hard for me to think that I might not be providing my baby with a good in utero environment right now.

I will call the doctor tomorrow and see what they want me to do. I don't want to take the 3 hour test until this cold is gone, but I don't want to sit on this unchecked for too long. Next week is crazy busy for me since I have to do all of my final observations of my student teachers, as well as finish up a ton of work before finals start right after Thanksgiving. And, of course, I want my results before Thanksgiving, so I have to figure out how to squeeze in a morning of glucose testing along with a morning of class and four mornings of observations. My calculations show that as 6 mornings in a 5 day week...

I'm sure I can figure out how to make that happen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home