Sunday, March 05, 2006

So how do we handle the fame?

For years, one of my favorite columns in the Sunday paper has been the birth announcements. I read them to find out which of my former students have become parents, which of my friends and classmates from high school have kids, and, of course, to laugh at some of the ridiculous names new parents decide to saddle their kids with.

In all the years of reading this column, and it has now been close to a 10-year obsession, I have never seen a same-sex couple listed. Many of our lesbian friends have been listed as single mothers, so we assumed it was a policy of the newspaper not to publish anything but what was on the birth certificate. When the press liaison from the hospital came into the room with the form after Bigfella was born, I idly asked her if she knew the policy.

"The newspaper prints exactly what you write on the form."

"Really? If I put Dyke Two down as the father, they'll print it?"

"Oh, honey, don't do that."

"Why not?"

"That's not fair to her. Just cross off mother and father and write in parents."

So we did.

And then today, there in the paper:

February 16th To Dyke One and Dyke Two, of smallcity, a son, Bigfella.

Dyke Two and I were so happy this afternoon. Seriously, we almost cried.

Isn't it sad how happy we were to be thrown a few crumbs? Imagine our reaction if the legislature were to pass an adoption bill...

3 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger kiles1670 said...

That is fantastic. well worth celebrating. we are all parents, we should be treated the same. Good one :-)

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being there in the paper as a full-on family, just as you should be.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Mo said...

This is very cool. I would have cried too. (I just found your blog! Didn't know you had one.) Hope you are enjoying that big guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home