Friday, October 06, 2006

Overheard: A Jesus Freak Says What??

Sitting in my favorite coffeeshop today, I tried to read a chapter of my Statistics text. Instead, I got distracted by this conversation between a mom and her college-aged son:

Son: So, did you hear about the congressman who was accused of sending sexual emails to young boys? He got caught, and now he's saying he's gay.

Mom: See, this is exactly why we shouldn't teach homosexuality in the schools. They just aren't honest about what all of this entails. It's just like with stem cell research. Do you know that the only way to obtain the cells for stem cell research is to do partial birth abortions and smash the skulls of the living babies to harvest their organs?

Son: I'm so glad I decided to be honest with you. I could have totally lied to dad, but there is no way I could have lied to you. Within a day, you would have known that I was spending 5 days in jail.

Mom: I just hope your time there opened your heart to the word of Jesus.


I really try to be tolerant of all viewpoints. I do. I really do. But, I think I have an inkling of why the schism between people in the US exists. Dyke Two thinks I should have called her on her inaccuracies. I decided I just wanted to finish the chapter on Fixed-Effects ANOVA. And drink my coffee in peace.

5 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger Jody said...

These sorts of hate-fueled passions, based on gross blatant inaccuracies (not just about sexuality, about evolution, about race, about ... agh, don't get me started) make my HEAD EXPLODE.

There's no way to engage people like this. Your knowledge of the facts just brands you a left-wing elitist snob, and the facts are further damaged (if such a thing is even possible) by their association with you.

Regrettably, more and more of these people are members of my own extended family. One more reason to forego family reunions....

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you're totally making that up. No one is that willfully stupid.

Right?




RIGHT?!

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Um.... wow. *Shaking head* No words. Wow.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mo said...

I'd have a hard time overhearing that conversation, but I doubt I would say anything either. It seems like generally it's just not worth it. But for me it really is important to make connections with people in my life (at work, neighbors, family) who may be homophobic. I figure those are the only people I MIGHT be able to make a difference with.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Shelli said...

seriously? This isn't a candid camera moment? People ACTUALLY say these things? WOW.

I might have to link to it.

Crap. WHAT is this world coming to?

I guess going to Jail is better than being gay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home