Monday, August 28, 2006

Sick, sick, sick...

I am not talking about John Mark Karr today.

I am talking about the plague that seems to have settled over the Ark...

I have had a cold for the better part of two weeks now. Dyke Two had it, gave it to me, got better, and now has it again.

Bigfella has it. In the last two weeks, he has cut 4 teeth and gotten his first cold. He looks so pathetic as he sits in the steamy shower with me, two rivers of snot flowing down his face. He screams if you bring the bulb syringe thing near him.

My ears are so clogged I can barely hear. I am blowing out snot from deep in my sinus cavities. I even have pressure and sharp pains on the roof of my mouth. I assume it is from the congestion, though I suppose there is a possibility that there are small creatures poking miniature icepicks through my mouth.

But, the really sick thing: I picked Bigfella up from daycare today and looked through the window into the baby room. "Hmmm..." I thought, "Why did Dyke Two send Bigfella to daycare in his pajamas?" I dropped off our payment for the week, and went to get him. When I walked into the room, I realized that Dyke Two had put him in Halloween pajamas...

We left the daycare and I called her to tell her we were on our way home.

"Honey, why did you dress Bigfella in Halloween pajamas today?"

"Huh? I didn't know they were Halloween ones."

"Didn't you see the pumpkins and bats on them?"

"I thought they were basketballs."

Oy...

On a separate--but related--note, what do you all recommend one does to increase their pumping output? Bigfella is taking 12-15 ounces a day, and I am pumping 10-12 ounces. I would like to dump that up to 15-20 if possible...

7 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I'm so sorry you all are sick. That's miserable. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I don't know what to tell you about pumping. The few times I've been away from the baby, I haven't pumped as much as she has taken in the bottle. Can you add an extra pumping session??? Good luck!

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you're sick.

How many times per day are you pumping? Are you pumping both breasts at the same time? You probably know pumping both increases milk production.

I would definitely add a session. Or pump after your last nursing session and/or just before you go to bed, rather than rely on your daytime/nursing pumping alone.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

daytime/WORK pumping alone. Gah.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a little luck increasing my output through some magical combo of the following:

* Noah waking up to eat in the middle of the night 3x most nights (up from sleeping through th enight);
* Pumping AS SOON as I get to work (usually only an hour after his last nursing) and every 2.5-3 hours after;
* Staying very well hydrated (~64 oz/day at work); and
* Mothers Milk Traditional Medicinals tea 1-2 cups/day.

My output varies every day, but it's gone from averaging in the 9-15 range a month ago to nothing below 12 in 10 days and an average of 16.6. (I love trixietracker.com)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Pixie said...

I'm sorry to hear y'all are all sick....

As for pumping- you should try to add a session. AND- I found the most helpful thing for me was to drink more water. I would drink down one of those BIG water bottles first- then pump. It worked well. I peed a lot.
But it worked!

Good luck, hope everyone feels better soon.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Tina said...

I came across your blog while Googling "shoulder pain in pregnancy" b/c I was convinced this weekend that I simply must be having an ectoptic pregnancy since my left shoulder hurts so much until my husband rightly pointed out that I was sleeping in an awful position for several hours Sunday morning because our 4 yr old daughter slipped into our bed and was being a bed-hog as usual... and your post last summer about you being convinced you were also having an ectoptic pregnancy made me feel much better.
I'm a teacher, mom, wife, and a very gay friendly liberal/progressive, and I have an anti-Bush/anti-Religious Fright blog.
I am also 8wks pregnant with our second, and to increase my milk production with our first, I drank "Sacred Tea for Nursing Mothers" twice a day plus at least 1 of those giant 32oz big gulp sized glasses of ice waters. Hope you all are on the mend asap.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Targetgirl said...

Hi, just wanted to add that I also pump right when I get to work (about an hour or hour and a half after my first nursing session) and I pump every 2 hours after that. I also pump before I head to bed, about 2 hours after my last night nursing. All said, I am way ahead of Logan and had to buy a deep freezer to store my stash. I think if you add an extra session that will make a big difference. It really isn't too much of a pain to do it right before I fall alseep. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home