Saturday, August 19, 2006

6 months old

We've had a big week.

Monday, we went to our 6 month wellbaby visit (20 pounds, 11 ounces, 28.75 inches long) and started daycare. Bigfella took 3 ounces of breastmilk, and I pumped 8.

Tuesday, he took 4 ounces of breastmilk, and I pumped 9.

Wednesday, 5 ounces, pumped 10

Thursday 6 ounces, pumped 11

Friday 8 ounces, pumped 8.

But, I have had a terrible, terrible cold, and am still using my manual pump.

My fellowship check cleared finally, so I just ordered my electric pump and a carseat for Dyke Two's car. (I also finally paid on a few outstanding bills, so hopefully, I will sleep a little better at night with the visions of bill collectors breaking down the door gone from my anxiety bundle.)

Basically, daycare seems to be a smashing success. The set up in the center is to have a room for 8 babies with two adults, and an annex off of it for 4 more babies with one adult. The annex is for babies who are working toward transitioning to the toddler room, so they all creep and crawl and some walk. They still feed and sleep on demand. Once Bigfella is taking more milk more easily, and sleeps without 20 minutes of being rocked to sleep, he will spend more time with the older babies, since he is developmentally more like them than the little babies in the infant room. The great thing about the center is that right now they are understaffed, so they only have 4 babies in the little baby room and three babies in the older baby room. Basically, we feel like we lucked into the smaller group size and calmer environment of a home day care with the oversight and regulation of a center. Also, the teacher was sick one day this week, so rather than have to worry about back up care plans, we arrived in the center and the floater teacher was happily waiting to take Bigfella.

He loves the babies in both rooms and starts to dance when he is taken out of the carseat in the parking lot.

Wednesday, Bigfella turned 6 months old. He celebrated by cutting two more teeth. That makes a total of 6 in his little mouth: two on the bottom and 4 on top...

3 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you're in a great situation. I'm jealous.

And 6 teeth!!! Wow! Big Fella is a real grower. Noah, who's about a week older, has yet to sprout any.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger quixoticmantis said...

Glad to hear daycare was a success!

Tell Big Fella congrats on the teeth! And oh, I hope you don't care that I linked to you on my blog!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Northwoods Baby said...

BIG Fella! Dude is thinking about sprouting teeth but hasn't bothered to do so, as yet. I am, of course, okay with this. One mouthful is plenty.

I'm so glad he likes daycare. That has to make the transition easier for you.

You are going to LOVE the electric pump!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home