Thursday, June 08, 2006

Little girls grow up and marry their fathers...

I have heard from various people that women end up marrying men who are like their fathers. I just assumed that this phenomenon didn't hold true for lesbians. Until tonight.

My father has always been convinced that the night air gives him asthma. Seriously. The night air. Asthma. In fact, while staying with my dad and stepmother for those two long weeks in May, the nightly argument between my father and stepmother was whether or not they were going to close the windows. My father is convinced that sleeping with the windows open makes him wheeze. Not allergens in the air. Just the air. Once the sun is down, it settles in his chest and the allergies just go crazy. He is a smart man. He has a doctorate in education. He has received numerous awards for his teaching. He has published multiple articles and textbooks. But, he is convinced the night air makes him sick.

So, tonight we were putting Bigfella to bed. I turned on the ceiling fan and put a small fan next to his crib. After all, it was 75 degrees outside and muggy. We haven't cleaned the filter in the central air yet, or else I would have turned the air conditioning on. It is hot here in Red State. Bigfella was whining and fussing, but finally settled into a fitful sleep.

Dyke Two came out of the bedroom about 20 minutes later and said, "I turned off the fan next to the crib."

"Why?" I asked.

"So he doesn't get sick."

I must have had a quizzical (read "What the fuck are you talking about??") look on my face because she tripped over herself to explain further.

"You know, from the moving air."

I couldn't help myself. Dyke Two is a smart woman. She has almost completed her doctorate. She is hired to do workshops at a daily rate that rivalled my former monthly salary. She holds down a high level job in central office. But, she is convinced that sleeping with air blowing on you makes you sick.

And, me? I guess even lesbians can end up marrying their fathers...

6 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

remember, there are lots of different kinds of intelligence...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger party b said...

LOL!!!!!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Pixie said...

Okay- that post was delightfully entertaining!!!! hahaha
Makes the work day seem much more fun when you can laugh and relate...
But I pose this question-- what if (as many of our children are doing) you grow up without said father? I met mine when I was 16. Turns out my partner is much like my mother- they are even both libras!
And I am JUST like my dad!
???? crazy!?????
lol- anyway- great post!
Have a fabulous day!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Dyke One said...

Pixie--

i agree. Hopefully it doesn't mean that father-free kids grow up to be unhappily single.

Dyke Two grew up without her father too. And, she swears that I am just like her grandmother (who did a lot of her raising since her mom was a teenager when she was born and went on to have 6 more kids).

I can only hope that Bigfella ends up with a mate who is a lot like Dyke Two, perhaps minus the "air=sickness theory."

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Lo said...

I must chime in that Co (my wife) has many of my dad's best qualities. I definitely think dykes can marry their daddies...

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Shelli said...

that is TOO much! I giggled and snarfed my afternoon coffee.

We, too, have AC/air "discussions" at our house.

it's silly, actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home